Tuesday 4 January 2011

Loveable baby creatures

A few days ago my blogging friend Hazel commented on someone else's blogpost about kittens that "Baby anything will steal your heart". Famous last words! This one is for you Hazel....



But this post is not about cats. Readers who have been following my blog for a while will no doubt remember this next photo...




Well, these worms have been making more babies. Aren't they cute?




I wonder when they will turn pink?




See that big red one on the left? - He's the proud father...





OK, so you may not think they are cute, but to me they are the next generation of compost-makers, so I'm happy to welcome them. Who needs a kitten anyway? They only destroy your curtains and scratch your furniture.

Finally, couldn't resist showing you how a picture of worms looks in "heat map" form:



Isn't that great?! Does it make the worms look any less repellent?

11 comments:

  1. Only a gardener would love them, but I'm with you. I love my compost worms and occasionally have been heard talking to them while I feed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mark, I'm sorry, but no, baby worms are not inspiring me with that feeling of love and protection! For some reason I though you were going to show photos of baby mice, at the hairless stage... it's 6 in the morning here, I think it would have turned my stomach.

    And although I'm not a cat person, what a lovely cat! Is that her fancy bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali; Sorry if I put you off your breakfast! Just for the record, the cat is Voltaire, my daughter Fiona's cat (hardly a kitten any more, more of an obstreperous teenager). Not sure about the bed, because I haven't actually seen the cat myself (Fiona lives in France).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I love the jived up photo of the worms. Not only does that totally disguise them, but it makes a very nice piece of abstract art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, Mark! I have a posting ready for tomorrow in your honour. How about that synchronicity. I love the kitty, and I love the worms, and i love your choice in daughter's names...my daughter has the same one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only wish I had so many worms in my compost!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad doesn't look well but who would with that lot?
    I thought you had been out and about practising shots of furry babies with your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute isn't a word which springs to mind when I see a worm, even baby ones. That gorgeous kitten is more up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The worm dance with strobe lights... the new year wormery disco... lol. Will never get over how many worms you have. I guess they bundled up in cold weather. There always seem to be more insects than worms visible in my housewaste compost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo in France, that's very fancy pants... I lived in France too, a long long time ago when I was young and adventurous. I didn't have a cat though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was very helpful, only very new to worm farming and was just checking what was in our farm was infact baby worms :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.