Saturday 25 April 2015

Perfect for Pots

Last Autumn Jane won in a competition a pack (15 bulbs) of Sarah Raven's "Perfect for Pots" Tulips. It fell to me (of course) to grow them! They are just beginning to flower now, so here are some photos of them.


This is "Ronaldo", a really deep Burgundy red colour.




This is "Jan Reus", a much redder one - a Merlot, perhaps?




The third variety is yet to show its true colours. It is "Flaming Spring Green", which is mostly white, with streaks of green and red. In my photo you can just see the red streaks beginning to show...


Four days later...




These are lovely flowers, but I have some reservations about the selection. I think the "Ronaldo" and "Jan Reus" ones are too similar. In my opinion, it would have been better to select completely different colours. Likewise, although these bulbs are supposed to flower in succession over an extended period, they have all come at more-or-less the same time, which is strange, and disappointing.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely tulips. I really like the deep red ones. I'm much less of a fan of whitish ones. Though in the spring I even appreciate those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some red and yellow tulips for a hot colours bed that I am planting up and those red ones would do nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the red ones...I can't really tell them apart. I'll deviate from the pack and say that I actually love the white ones more - those striations are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.