Sunday 13 July 2014

Sweet Pea Gallery

Sweet Peas are my latest "IN" thing!


The two wigwams of bamboo canes up which the Sweet Peas are growing stand right outside our sliding door to the garden - about eight feet from my chair! I have been trying to get a good photo of them, but to be honest they don't look that spectacular, because I keep picking the flowers to bring indoors.

Outdoors

Indoors


I sowed two different types of Sweet Pea. The first one was "Fragrantissima" (seeds sown in December), but they didn't do well. They all died off during the Spring. However, the other type - "Spencer Mixed" - has done well. I am particularly pleased with the range of colours, which has a lot of dark ones which I really like, as well as some lighter pinks and a few white ones. Here are some photos...















Bringing the blooms indoors is actually a good thing in more ways than one. Not only do they look and smell nice in the Living Room, but cutting them encourages the plants to produce more flowers. If you leave the faded flowers on the plant it will set seed and will then stop producing any more blooms, so even if you leave the flowers on the plant, you must at least cut them when they are finished.

10 comments:

  1. I like the dark red ones too! I grew Beaujolais in previous years but had all new seed this year and opted for white, purple/blue and deep pink. The definitely look best in a vase as the plant has a very untidy habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should get back to growing these as they provide such a lovely palette of color. It's a shame they've fallen out of fashion. One of my seed cataogs from the 1930s had SEVEN pages of sweet pea seeds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such vibrant colours! I'd love to grow them this year...our sowing will start in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep thinking that I have to grow them some year. I've been told by so many how wonderful they smell and I'll grow plants just for their scent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These flowers are very beautiful, Mark. I have tried to grow one sweet pea before, but it didn't get enough care to make it. After seeing these, I think I will have to try again. Thank you for the motivation.

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so beautiful and the mix of colours is lovely. Sweet peas are so rewarding, everyone should have a go. I sow mine in February now and have more success than trying to overwinter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the burgundy colour. We never sow sweet peas early ours are just starting to flower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! No one should be without sweet peas. My plants on the allotment have been brilliant this year (Crippens Cream and Charlie's Angel). The plants look bare the whole time as I pick all the flowers everytime I go up there, so like you, I can't get any good photos. But we have had sweet peas on the kitchen table for about 6 weeks now. Can't beat it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sweet pea! And have it in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I adore jolly little sweet peas! I actually am not a grower of them myself after a disastrous effort a few years back, was very disheartened! But with colours as amazing as that....I feel inspired to give it a go again next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.