Friday 4 July 2014

Some strange tomatoes

The weedkiller contamination in my compost is causing a few deformities in my tomatoes.  However, looking on the bright side, at least it looks as if I will get at least some tomatoes, even if the yield is poor.
Many of the varieties I am growing this year are Beefsteak ones, well known for the irregular shape of their fruits, but "Gardener's Delight" is NOT one of those. Despite some very strange-looking "flowers", this plant is still managing to set some fruit.

"Gardener's Delight"

Many of the "Orkado" fruits, normally regular and round, are developing a waist!

"Orkado"
"Ferline" is also usually quite conventional, but this one has got a nose:

"Ferline"

This delectable beauty is "Cherokee Purple", which last year produced some of the best-looking tomatoes I have ever grown. Not this year....

"Cherokee Purple"
 
"Cherokee Purple" - 2013


This "Giant Syrian" doesn't seem too bad. I think it would have been a bit "rugged" even in normal circumstances.

"Giant Syrian"

This fruit of "Orkado" looks as if it is ripening already - which is very early - but if you look closely you will see that it is unfortunately developing Blossom End Rot. The dark brown patch on the underside betrays this.

"Orkado"

The disfigurement of the growing-points of the plants is if anything worse now than before. It doesn't look as if many more flowers are going to be produced.


This is a typical leaf:


The prospect of a freezer full of tomato sauce for Winter use is receding rapidly!

17 comments:

  1. That is so sad. How long does this weed killer persist in the soil? Will your soil be OK next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be OK by next year - and of course it is mostly the stuff in pots that is affected. The soil in the main beds will probably still be OK.

      Delete
    2. Don't put the compost anywhere on your garden - get rid of it. Some people who were affected by the contamination 'felt' the effects for a few seasons.

      Delete
  2. It's so disappointing. I hope you get at least some kind of usable harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a shame. Hope next year is better

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to see the fruits like that when you've been growing the plants from the seed... I'm sure you've made your research but I'm just curious to know if they are safe to eat? They are so visibly affected by the weedkiller and tomatoes are normally eaten raw... If I lived nearby I'd donate one of my plants (not that they are anywhere near acceptable, with my negligence in watering and feeding...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that kind thought, Marcia! I'm still planning to eat mine, since all the advice I have seen is that the produce will be safe to eat. No worse than something that has been sprayed with bug-spray, I reckon.

      Delete
  5. Some good questions have been raised about how long weed killer lasts in the soil and if it affects the fruit. Looking forward to your answer. Hopefully they are safe to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The info given by the Dept of Food, Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) is that the weedkiller does not affect the health of either humans or animals, and that its effects will be naturally dispersed by next year.

      Delete
    2. The advice about dispersal is to be taken with a pinch of salt, Mark - also don't compost your tomato tops. After we were affected volunteer potatoes were coming up deformed for a couple of years after even on the compost heap..

      Delete
  6. Our weedkiller contaminated potatoes a few years ago produced acceptable looking potatoes but in the end we didn't risk eating them. We gave it some serious consideration but decided one reason for "growing our own" was to avoid as much as possible produce that had been sprayed or treated with chemicals. They all went to the council tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a heart breaker, I know all the work and TLC that went into your tomatoes. I would be very PO'd. But if you can get beyond that, it is fascinating to observe the weird effects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your soil issues this year. Makes for some silly looking tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mark.
    I am your faithful follower. I don't have any blog on my own but I like reading and following some gardening blogs because I grow my own. I also have problems with my tomatoes and pepper plants but not as bad as you. I blame for it a commercial compost like you. Did you ever have problems with a green caterpillar eating my tomatoes plants? I definitely think is tomato hornworm moth caterpillar. I hope your tomato plants overcome this and you will have at least some yield. Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate; No I have never had any problems with caterpillars on my tomatoes - unlike my brassicas, which are favoured by every butterfly under the sun! Thanks for following, btw.

      Delete
  10. I often meet this condition on my tomato plot in my garden. Traditional treatment is cutting the curled part (infested part) then showering some wooden ash on the plant and soil. We also pouring some rice water on to the soil to nourish the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bizarre indeed! With the external structural manifestation, It'll be interesting to note internal abnormalities.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.