Friday 11 July 2014

Scabiosa Atropurpurea "Chile Black"

This is another recent acquisition, inspired by some very nice examples of the Scabious family that I saw on my visit to West Green House last month. I'm a great fan of dark-coloured flowers, and when I saw this plant's name - Chile Black - I knew I had to have it. It came from my local Garden Centre.


According to the label, this plant will flower in profusion from May to September, and judging by the number of blooms and buds on it at present, this sounds highly likely.


My usual technique is to grow plants like this in pots, so that I can move them around at will. For the time being it is sitting next to a pot of variegated sage, whose gold and pale green leaves set it off very well.
Here's a closer look at a flower. It reminds me of an old-fashioned pin-cushion! From a distance, the flowers appear black, but when you get close they are really a very dark purple.


While I was taking that shot, a fly decided to photo-bomb (see below, bottom left)...


For those who are interested in the details, this is a hardy perennial, which prefers a sunny position in well-drained soil, and is a good one for attracting bees. It will grow to about 20 inches tall.


Can you see the greenish flower-bud at bottom left in the photo above? That is a white-flowered Echinacea, which should look good next to the black Scabious when it matures.

8 comments:

  1. You must have some nice neighbor that will water all those when you are gone. I have trouble remembering to water my pots when I am here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dark colour. If you keep dead-heading it, it will produce more and more new flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great colour! Good for the bees is always good news too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, now that is my kind of plant! I love the cornflower 'Black Ball', but find growing cornflowers really annoying, they flop all over the place. Growing this scabious instead sounds like the perfect solution, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty plant and very different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely plant - isn't it amazing how often insects photo bomb flower pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colour is lovely Mark, I feel a garden centre trip coming on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.