Wednesday 16 July 2014

Flighty's Favourites

Lots of people in my circle of blogging friends will know Mike Rogers, aka "Flighty". His blog is Flighty's Plot. Mike is particularly fond of Calendulas, and is more than happy to help other people to appreciate their merits by sending them seeds from some of those he grows on his plot. Earlier this year I was the lucky recipient of some of these. Today I want to show you how they are doing.

Mike sent me two packs, one of which was a mix of all his varieties, but the other was labelled "Biscuit mix". Judging by their biscuity colours I think most of the flowers in my photos are from the latter. I have arranged them in a sort of "time-lapse" sequence, though actually they were almost all taken on the same day.
















This next one doesn't look "biscuity", so I think it must be one from the general "Flighty's favourites" mix. Very stylish though!


Flighty's Calendulas are so much more exciting than the plain yellow ones. These are ones self-seeded from a mix I had last year that was called "Sunshine mix", or something like that.







12 comments:

  1. I love Calendulas but weirdly I haven't grown them in ages. Though they are on my list for the front garden if I ever get that together. I really like the colors in the first one. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for this post with its generous mention and link. It's always good to see that blog friends such as yourself like my 'Flighty's favourites'. I like your selection of photos, especially the first few which show the backs of the petals.
    Happy gardening, Flighty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have them in my vegetable garden. They self-seed and I don't have to worry about new generation at all- Lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always take gorgeous photos Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the 2nd post I've seen in as many weeks on calendulas. They are gorgeous & a definite seed purchase for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really gorgeous, the flowers and your photos. I'm growing them again for the first time in many years and I can't believe it has taken me so long. Flighty has some really nice selections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Mark who needs a timelapse camera when we have your dedication and patience

    ReplyDelete
  8. Calendula is a flower with many health benefits. Last year I picked the pettals and used in homemade salve and soap. They also are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. I love this flower, but I've never found the plant get flowering just a foliage. Too hot I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love that progression, Mark. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.