Tuesday 15 July 2014

Bee-time (Thyme...)

With our gardens full of flowers at this time of year, we all hope that the gardens will also be full of bees, don't we? The trouble is, bees are in short supply. Well, let's qualify that: honey bees are in short supply. I see plenty of the bigger bees around, the type I call "Bumble Bees" (although I know they mostly are not).
During the last week or ten days I have seen several honey bees though, so I have been trying to photograph them. My photos are not particularly brilliant, but at least they prove that I have seen some bees!










This year I have more flowers in my garden than before, so hopefully they are doing their bit to attract (and of course, feed) the bees. Like this Broad-Leaved Thyme:





And this alleged "Greek Oregano"...


If you have been following my blog, you may have gathered that Greek Oregano is supposed to repel white butterflies. (Notice the netted cabbages in the background of the photo above). However, I can tell you that whilst Oregano/Marjoram flowers are very attractive to bees, the certainly do NOT repel white butterflies!

7 comments:

  1. It is hard to imagine what would happen to nature if the bees die out. They are important pollinators to almost 2/3 of the plants we eat. Like you, I have plants attractive to bees in my garden and I am happy to see them buzzing around. And, your photographs are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attract white butterflies into my garden. They just love my flowers. Right now the lavender is their favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bee photos; always great to see them in the garden! We always put out a small plot I call my bee and butterfly garden. The bees especially loved my catnip this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. first off there is nothing wrong with your bee photos they are tricky blighters they are hardly ever still long enough to get a decent shot having said that photo 1 is a doozy as Alice would say

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bee pictures are great . I was watching honey bees in the lavender on the plot today too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bumblebees in most cases are better pollinators than honey bees, especially for vegetables like tomatoes, beans and peas. I read a fantastic book recently, called "A Sting in the Tale" by Dave Goulson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love those dark scabious; glad that the bees are enjoying them too! How are you doing for non-white butterflies this year? I hope they've discovered your oasis, and are feasting on the buddleia and all the other blooms that brighten up your plot...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.