Sunday 7 July 2013

Strawberries

In my small garden I don't have space for a permanent Strawberry bed, but these berries are so delicious that I felt the need to grow some, somehow.


I therefore have a few plants growing in containers. At present the fruit is ripening, so I have protected it from marauding wildlife with a structure made from the frames of my plastic mini-greenhouses and a fine-mesh net. The net is weighed-down at the edges with stones and bricks.




The volume of berries produced by a few plants like these is not big, but growing them is definitely worthwhile. The flavour of a freshly-picked home-grown strawberry (which has never been anywhere near a chiller or fridge!) is something that no supermarket strawberry can match.


This is the way we used one little batch of berries - as a garnish alongside a dish of grilled pears and blue cheese on top of toasted spicy fruit loaf. This is a fabulous combination, I tell you. A beautiful mix of sweet and salty, soft and crunchy. Try it!

9 comments:

  1. What a fine way to eat those strawberries; I must give that a try! Your berries look delicious. It is true that all fruit tastes tons better without being chilled, I think. I know the same goes for apples, oranges, fresh pineapple and berries. The best oranges I have ever eaten are right off the tree in the orange grove!!We have lots of U-pick strawberry places here in Florida and our strawberries are quite famous all over America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sun ripened and warmed strawberries - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh berries are amazing! Definitely worth the effort to grow them.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. A true feast, well worth protecting, before picking them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw that strawberries picture, I had this lyric hitting my mind. You are straw to my berries.

    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strawberries tend to do very well in containers, I have a few in the garden as well as a patch at the allotment. Well, you can never have enough strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having thrown out half of my strawberry plants after last year's disastrous slug ridden crop, I've had bumper harvests this year. They're more manageable, being higher up or in raised beds and I picked 1.2kg in one evening the other night! Your strawbs look scrumptious, Mark - and I love the sound of your recipe, I wonder if it would work with Brie? What variety of strawbs do you grow?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so nice, I bet there is no comparison with store-bought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is definitely a good year for them

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.