Monday 8 July 2013

Harvest Monday - 8 July 2013

My harvests this week were nicely varied:


During the week I harvested two small batches of peas. If you've been following my blog, you'll know that the few peas I have grown this year were in a way "unintentional". They are ones that were originally sowed indoors, to produce peashoots. When they germinated I saw that they were a semi-leafless variety ("Boogie", I believe) and unsuitable for peashoots so I planted them outside in a couple of big pots.


As it happens, these peas are amongst the best I have ever produced! I think that being in pots they have benefitted from better all-round ventilation, so they have not succumbed to mildew, which was always a serious problem when I grew peas in rows. I know this is not a lot of peas (two batches, each of approx 200 grams), but they were NICE!


This particular batch went into a creamy mushroom sauce which Jane made to go with some pan-fried chicken breasts - for which purpose this amount of peas was exactly right.

We also ate the first home-grown cucumber of the year - something that I was beginning to fear might never happen, with my cucumber plants dying off left, right and centre!


The Broad Beans produced their first crop too - a small batch of "Aquadulce". Quality was great. Quantity left a lot to be desired!


Strawberries were on the menu too. Again, only a few, but a delicious treat nonetheless!


More potatoes were consumed - this time "Lady Christl":


These potatoes look pretty good, don't they? However one of them was slightly less than perfect. It had a touch of scab. You can see it here, showing a line of little brown lesions, just below the labels. This amount of scab is completely insignificant - it is easy to rub off with a finger - so I'm not worried. Scab is often associated with compost that has become too dry, and since these potatoes had been growing in pots I think that is highly likely.


This week I have also harvested more Turnips, more Tenderstem Broccoli, and more Scotch Bonnet Chillis. I'm well pleased.


Before long we'll be eating home-grown Beetroot, and the Runner Beans are flowering already, so we have more to look forward to.

7 comments:

  1. I think you do so well to get such a varied harvest. You may not be growing in large quantities but I think the main thing here is quality. You certainly look forward to the harvests more when they're limited, they're more of a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your peas look just beautiful! In fact your whole harvest is picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been harvesting peas too and our first potatoes were lifted today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful harvest. Everything looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that shot of the peas growing is tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did get a good variety of harvests from the garden! The peas look especially sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning pictures of your harvest! I can imagine all the hard work that you have put in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.