Saturday 8 June 2013

To Bee or not to Bee, that is the question

At first sight this may appear to be a Bee.


I thought it was a Bee at first, which is why I was interested enough to photograph it. Bees are a rare sight in my garden at present. However, when I looked closer, I saw that it was not a Bee, just a fly of some sort pretending to be a Bee.


I'm not sure what sort of fly it was - can anyone tell me? - but it certainly knew how to pose! The bright yellow Dogwood leaf shows it off very well.

I have hardly seen any Bees this year, and those that I have seen have been Bumble Bees. More Hoverflies are beginning to appear though, so hopefully they will do the pollination task that normally falls to the Bees.


This particular chap seems to want to look like a Wasp.


So no Bees, but just "Wannabees"!  Presumably making yourself look like something with a sting in its tail makes you less attractive to predators or something.

9 comments:

  1. Love the post! And your way with words... These are certainly flies because they have only one pair of wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you can get cuckoo bees that look like bees but I don't think this is one of those - it's not trying hard enough to be beelike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be a hoverfly - they look a lot like a honey bee at first glance. If that's the case, they're very beneficial for gardens - the larvae eat aphids and the adults are good pollinators!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your bees come out. I saw a lot here early on, but haven't seen as much recently. Maybe I just don't have the flowers for them yet, but the zinnias are just starting to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed an adaptation to prevent predation, known as Batesian mimicry. Seems like the way the poor old bees are going that's all we'll have left soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice wordplay! :)

    This year I have hornets' nest in a shed and I don't know what to do with it. On one hand I don't want to destroy their house but on the other hand I don't want to have them in my shed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen lots of bees around just lately, I suppose the warmer weather has brought them out. Butterflies too, I was beginning to think they were all in hibernation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoverfly ----
    http://www.greatsunflower.org/files/images/How_to_tell_a_Bee.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  9. My guess is Hover fly. There are some good comparisons here - http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmay07/cd-hoverflies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.