Wednesday 24 April 2013

Celeriac and Lentils with Hazelnuts and Mint

This is a recipe from "Plenty" by Yotam Ottolenghi. (Page 216).


Because this recipe is Ottolenghi's, not mine, I'll not describe it in detail. If you want the full details, buy or borrow the book! (You won't regret it.)

The gist of it though is to cook some green lentils (I used Puy ones) and some Celeriac, and then steep them while still warm in olive oil, hazelnut oil, vinegar, black pepper and mint.


Meanwhile, you toast some Hazelnuts, chop them roughly, and use them as garnish, along with more Mint.


This is a dish that can be served hot, warm or cold. We had it as a cold starter. I felt that this would be the best way to appreciate the flavours. But with the lentils in it, it could be served as a nutritious and filling Main Course too.


The dish is a riot of flavours and textures! I particularly enjoyed the crunch of the Hazelnuts alongside the soft Celeriac. Every dish I cook from an Ottolenghi recipe is better than the last one. The man is a genius!

5 comments:

  1. I like celeriac roasted. I suspect the dish would also work with roasted roots. I also have some celeriac seedlings in the greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a recipe in Stephanie Alexander's Cooks Companion for braised lentils & celeriac which I've been cooking for a while, she doesn't add the hazelnuts or mint though and they sound like fab additions which I will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tasted or grown celeriac, I may now give it a go.That does look tasty.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark!

    I used to get celeriac in my CSA - the first time I got it I was like, WTF? haha - now it's one of my favorite veg!!

    p.s. i was trying to find an email addy for you - but I can't seem to locate one on your page. I wanted to ask you if you'd be interested in some blog design? Not that there's anything wrong with your blog - but the look should match the fabulousness of your content. for reals. If you're interested, visit my blog - all my contact info is there. I won't paste the URL here because I don't want it to go to your spam but you can find me via my Google page. Thanks!

    Keep up the spectacular posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.