Monday 22 October 2012

Harvest Monday - 22 October

I'm pleased to be able to report that we have not yet had any "proper" frost - just one night of slightly-below-zero temperatures, so the fruit and veg is still growing, and therefore I am still able to harvest a few things.

Home-grown Raspberries in October are a real treat, even if they're not plentiful. Even a handful like this can provide a nice boost to a bowl of ice-cream.


I wrote a few days ago about pulling the last of the beetroot, but here's a photo of the whole batch, just for the record.


I cut one of the Red Cabbages. It's tiny (about the size of a grapefruit), but very densely-packed, so it will certainly be sufficient for a 2-person serving.


We're eating an Endive every couple of days now. Mixed in with Radicchio and Lettuce it makes a very interesting salad, that scores well in terms of taste, colour and texture.


The beans of course are still going. This batch weighed-in at 800g.


Today I also want to give a mention to some of my herbs. They don't often get to be Centre Stage, and I seldom mention harvesting them, but we use lots of them, and to me herbs are an essential part of both my gardening and my cookery.

This is Mint - looking a bit tired and pale now, but the tips are still useable.


This is Parsley, a real staple ingredient, and one which I never have enough of.


And finally, probably my most favourite herb of all - Thyme:


I'll be entering this post to "Harvest Monday" on Daphne's Dandelions, so why not pop across there too and see what else people have been harvesting this week...

10 comments:

  1. A very nice harvest. I'd be pleased with that, especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree thyme is my favorite but mine always dies at the end of the season :( I had hoped that in the raised beds this year that it might live but it isn't looking so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My herbs get short shrift too. I harvested rosemary to dry this last week, but it never got weighed. Whoops! They are too often forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even a small cabbage when tightly packed can produce plenty to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As fresh herbs go, thyme is probably the one that I use most often, but perhaps that is because it is always available in the garden. I rarely give the spotlight to the herbs that I harvest also. This week I cut back most of my basil and made a batch of pesto and have a big bunch of it sitting with the cut ends in water on the kitchen counter - did I even give it a passing mention in my harvest post - no, poor things. :(

    Lovely endive. I have a hard time growing it, it either gets munched or it bolts before I notice. Someday I'll figure out how to grow it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice red cabbage! I am still getting a few raspberries as well and they don't last long in this house! It's nice to have colorful salads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favorite of all Thyme? Nice harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have quite a little farmers market going there Mark ;D
    A plentiful harvest indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the thyme Mark I use it more than anything else, parsley a close second. I leave my parsley to go to seed and it sows itself, I haven't bought parsley seed or plants for years.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.