Tuesday 20 December 2011

"Petit Posy" lives up to her name

I am growing a few "Petit Posy" Flower Sprouts this year, as an experiment. I must say, they certainly teach you patience...  So far they are resolutely "petit".

I have been in correspondence with a nice chap called David from Johnny's Seeds, who was saying that he believes that the sprouts will come on much quicker once the plants have shed most of their leaves. That must be soon, then. You can see in this picture the scars left by the leaves that have fallen, each matched by a teeny weeny sprout. They are (intentionally) much looser than the Brussels Sprout.


Up at the tops of the plants there is still a sort of "crown" of leaves. Presumably these are edible too, just like "Sprout Tops". Anyone tried them?


I only have four of these plants and three of them are a very dark purple colour, similar to "red" cabbage, but the fourth is much greener, nearer to Purple Sprouting Broccoli (below, at right).


Actually, even if these plants never produce much of a yield, they are worth having just for their photogenic qualities.

The lowest leaves are quite pretty just before they shrivel up and drop off, like this one:


 Here a close-up shot of one of the crowns, covered in raindrops:


And another, covered in frost:


And how do you like this "Contemporary Art" rendition of "Petit Posy"?

14 comments:

  1. How extraordinary that they're all the same plant but 3 are red and 1 green, if I've read that correctly? You're a man after my own heart Mark - I love to grow experimental plants just for the sheer joy of it! These, I love! What beautiful plants and the frosted photo would make a great Christmas card for a fellow gardener! Caro x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful plants. I shall be interested to hear how they tasted too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're getting right into this photo manipulation aren't you? I think they grew some of these sprouting sprouts on Beechgrove Garden but I can't remember much about them,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm growing sprouts for the first time at the moment, and they take FOREVER! A horticulturist told me a few days ago that if you cut the top leaves off, the plant puts more energy in to the fruit...I'm yet to do this and observe the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look fun! I like your string (or as my father calls it - baler twine) its certainly more photogenic than my old stockings.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your last photo - purple is my favourite colour. I think you should frame it and others like it and pop them up on your kitchen wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These a definitely interesting. I have not seen these seeds for sale here but I have only gotten one seed catalog this year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos, Mark. You really have got the hang of that new(ish) camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mark...was reading just last night, my Johnny's catalogue and noted this flower Brussels Sprout variety which I might add...I pooh poohed. (is that a word). Firstly I thought, well the cabbage butterfly will love this. They can't get at the tight sprouts but give them this lovely flowerette sprout and they will have a field day. HOWEVER...now that I see you have had good success with them, and I must admit to being drawn to anything in the veg plant world new and interesting..I might adjust my sails on this. You did a terrific job of growing and staking them.

    Your blog is always inspiring. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics Mark. Especially your 'arty' one! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The red ones are a lovely colour. I'll be interested to see how you do with them and how they taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm okay appreciating your art work Mark....but just don't ask me to eat any! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty Mark - love the velvety green leaves but they look as though they will have a very strong taste to me - be interesting to see how they develop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It'll be interesting to see if the sprouts put on any size before harvest. Also curious as to your impressions of taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.